NORTHERN IRELAND WHISKEY TRAIL
This trail give you the opportunity to discover Belfast in one day from Dublin. But the journey to Belfast is the highlight ! Two visits to rural Irish distilleries included.
DISCOVER NORTHERN IRELAND
This morning we take you by road from the capital of the Republic of Ireland into Northern Ireland which forms part of the United Kingdom. Your Whiskey Expert Host will meet you at the Celtic Whiskey Shop in Dublin and in executive transport, you depart for the North. After crossing the border into Northern Ireland, we’re only a short distance from our first stop – Killowen Small Batch Distillery.
Killowen Distillery is the creation of Brendan Carty who travelled across the globe for years and learned the secret to distilling premium Irish Whiskey.
Located in the heart of the Mourne Mountains, Killowen Distillery has a cult following that describe it as a ‘true distillery.’ Seated at the slopes of Knock Shee (the Fairy Mountain), the path to the distillery is the path smugglers took during the Napoleonic Wars to bring French brandy into the North of Ireland and until recently was a perfect hideout for local poitín makers (moonshiners). Today you can experience the craftmanship behind this once illicit spirit making for yourself with an intimate ‘meet the maker’ tour and tasting experience.
Next we’ll bring you into Downpatrick, and to the Saint Patrick Centre where you can learn about our patron Saint. You’ll even have the chance to visit dear Patrick’s grave and you’ll have the chance to grab lunch in the centre also. We then head not far to the little village of Crossgar. We meet the folks at Rademon Distillery – Home of Shortcross gin & Single Malt Whiskey. We’ll have a quick introduction to the gin process from Head Distiller at Rademon, David Boyd-Armstrong, and he will tell you all about his plans for his whiskey range coming soon. The tour ends in the tastings bar for a Shortcross gin masterclass. The combination of David’s passion and love for what he’s making and the style of the gin masterclass, makes our time at Rademon very memorable.
Depending on availability, instead of Rademon, we may take you on a ferry from Strangford that will connect us with the Ards Peninsula, a most beautiful part of Ireland. We soon arrive at at Echlinville Distillery, the first newly licensed whiskey distillery in Northern Ireland in over 125 years.
We’ll have a quick look at the facility which is a proper bona fide ‘field to glass’ distillery. All the barley is grown onsite and their whiskey is maturing in their onsite warehouse. We finish in the impressive Echlinville manor house for two samples of their flagship whiskeys (or gin).
Once we say our goodbyes at Echlinville, we depart for Belfast, enjoying spectacular views out over Strangford Lough. On arrival in the city centre you can enjoy the wonderful city of Belfast at your leisure. We will guide you on where you should check out for dinner and drinks – the pubs of Commercial Court are an absolute must! We’ll then take a late transfer back to Dublin City by road (2 hours) and we’ll drop you to the door of your hotel in Dublin City.
- Full day fully escorted touring of Northern Ireland, predominantly through County Down
- Private tour for your party only – minimum 8 guests
- Executive transportation with experienced driver/guide (plus their expenses)
- Whiskey Specialist Host to bring the Irish whiskey story to life. The Host accompanies you throughout and provides guiding, expert advice and will oversee all elements of travel on the day.
- Bottled water and WiFi on board
- Tour of Killowen Distillery with tastings of 4 Killowen Spirits
- Gin Experience at Rademon Estate Distillery. Tour the facility with the owners and taste their hugely successful Shortcross Gin OR – Tour and tasting at Echlinville Distillery. Includes tea/coffee & scones at Echlinville Manor House on arrival, fully guided tour and two samples of whiskey to finish
- Admission to the St Patrick Centre with lunch
- All taxes and fees