FULL DAY WHISKEY TRAIL - IRELAND’S ANCIENT EAST
Private full day whiskey trail to counties Wicklow , Carlow & Kilkenny. Includes visits and tastings at three rural Irish distilleries.
Today, with us, you will discover Ireland’s Ancient East. We’re travelling the counties to the south of Dublin and we’ve three fantastic distillery visits lined up for you today.
We collect you from your Dublin City hotel at 9am and depart for the south. Our first stop is Powerscourt Distillery where after a quick look at the stunning Powerscourt House & Gardens, we take a guided tour of Powerscourt Distillery which includes a visit to the onsite maturation warehouse and finishes with a whiskey tasting of: Fercullen Premium Blend, 10 YO Single Grain, 14 YO Single Malt and 18 YO Single Malt – the wonderful whiskeys of Powerscourt, made by renowned Master Distillery, Noel Sweeney and his team.
We continue south visiting a monastic site dating back to the 6th century along the way. Glendalough is steeped in history, and we share it with you – it is very relevant, after all – our Irish monks invented whiskey!
Next, we’ll take you on a stunning drive through the Wicklow Mountains. We stop en route for lunch.
After our arrival in County Carlow, we’ll visit a new distillery built on a very old Irish estate. Royal Oak Distillery is home to The Busker Irish Whiskey. It is the first brand to offer the full compliment of the Irish Whiskey story – Single Grain, Single Malt, Single Pot Still and a blend of all three types… all from one distillery.
Just on the outskirts of Kilkenny you’ll find a wonderful artisan Irish family farm distillery – Ballykeefe Distillery. It is from this area that the first written account of distilling in Ireland comes in 1324. It was written in the Red Book of Ossory. The word “whiskey” is an Anglicisation of the Gaelic phrase, uisce beatha, meaning “water of life”. It’s here that you discover the history of Irish whiskey – at it’s birthplace. You’ll be walked through the farm’s mill house, to the brewhouse, to the copper pot stills, to the warehouse where their whiskey is still sleeping soundly. You’ll also see the on-site bottling plant. You will finally be taken to the tasting rooms, transformed from the horses stable where you’ll sample Ballykeefe’s own Gin, Vodka and Poitin along with their newly release Single Pot Still Irish whiskey – we’re very excited about this release!
We’re just a short drive to Kilkenny after our visit. Kilkenny is a medieval city in southeast Ireland, arguably the most prominent medieval city in the country. We’ll leave you to explore it at leisure for a few hours. Discover the grand Kilkenny Castle which was built in 1195 by Norman occupiers and overlooks the town. The town has deep religious roots and many well-preserved churches and monasteries, including the imposing St. Canice’s Cathedral and the Black Abbey Dominican priory, both from the 13th century. It’s also a crafts hub, with shops along its winding lanes selling pottery, paintings and jewellery – a shopper’s paradise! There’s no shortage of pubs with live music and great restaurants to choose from for dinner. Then, we’ll transfer you back to Dublin (motorway all the way), we’ll have you back in Dublin City in 90 minutes.
- Full day fully escorted touring of Ireland’s Ancient East, including counties; Wicklow, Carlow Kilkenny
- Private Tour for your party
- Executive transportation with experienced driver/guide (+ all his/her expenses)
- Bottled water & Wifi on board
- Whiskey Specialist Host accompanies you throughout, bringing to life the story of Irish whiskey and ensuring all goes according to plan!
- Powerscourt Distillery tour including a very special warehouse visit and tastings of four Fercullen whiskeys; Premium Blend, 10 Year Old Single Grain, 14 Year Old Single Malt and 18 Year Old Single Malt
- Tour of Ballykeefe artisan family farm distillery with tastings of their extra dry gin, artisan vodka and poitin and their new Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey
- Tour of Royal Oak Distillery with tasting
- Free time in Kilkenny City – your Host with guide you on where to check out / where to eat etc
- All taxes and charges